The Panther Press

The Student News Site of San Domenico

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

Increased security within Marin stores highlight issues in the community

Areas+such+as+gas+stations+across+Marin+are+seeing+a+rise+in+theft+
Hannah Silber
Areas such as gas stations across Marin are seeing a rise in theft

The surge in theft in Marin County has had a profound impact on the local retail landscape, causing local stores to safeguard their merchandise by putting it under lock and key, and it’s rumored that some will be shutting down. Larger retail chains such as Target, Safeway, CVS etc. have upgraded their security protocols and anxiety within the community has raised with it. 

Students have found themselves deeply affected by this disconcerting trend and have claimed that their personal experiences with theft cause them to worry about small businesses. The diminishing amount of morality and integrity within their community and the potential for store closures pose a looming threat. Nayely Aguirre, a student at San Domenico, recounts a moment of personal vulnerability as she shares her observations.

“I see people with [stolen items]. You can tell there is something under their jacket, and no one does anything, and they just walk out,” Aguirre said. “One time, I bought this jacket and I forgot to take the alarm off. But I walked through the [shoplifting sensors], and they went off, and no one cared. So, what if I hadn’t bought it? And I stole it? Would they care?”

The increase in security breaches in various corporations has both economic and social consequences. It poses a significant challenge to society, impacting individuals as well as the community of Marin. Yet, it also has created a rift in Marin’s otherwise serene reputation.

Notice of the escalation of theft has left those in the community such as Jessica Farley, a Resident Faculty at San Domenico, questioning the fabric of trust within the community.

“Developing trust within a community is hard, and theft makes trust even harder to establish,” Farley said. “If a store or area is experiencing a rise in theft it can make people feel discouraged to go there, which, in part, degrades the community ties with the absence of some of its members.”

As a result of the lack of trust, new security measures and protocols are being put in place to ensure the safety and security of those who venture out for their shopping needs. However, the rumors of stores possibly shutting down are concerning locals.

“There will definitely be less accessibility to resources,” Vivian Pack said. “That takes away so much. You can’t go 5-10 minutes away to get the stuff that you need and that can be more expensive.”

Accessibility is crucial especially considering the low-income population in Marin. Larger retail chains closing causes those in the community to be cut off from important necessities as well as items of good quality. The rise in theft hurts the community in the grand scheme of things as the consequences come full-circle.

This issue serves as a poignant reminder that not only are tangible assets at stake but also the intangible bonds that make a community feel truly alive.