The Panther Press

The Student News Site of San Domenico

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

The thrifters guide to Marin County: uncovering hidden gems

Shimmer+is+the+most+popular+thrift+store+in+Fairfax%21+
Coda Swaim
Shimmer is the most popular thrift store in Fairfax!

Thrifting can be a daunting experience, especially for those new to the world of secondhand shopping. However, in Marin County, there is no need to feel overwhelmed. There’s an amazing range of thrift stores; you’re bound to find what you’re looking for. Finding your go-to thrift store is essential in order to have a smooth and calm shopping experience. With thrift stores offering everything from vintage clothes to unique home decor, Marin County has several hidden gems for thrifting enthusiasts. 

If you are looking for a place to shop that offers unique pieces and a great shopping experience, I highly recommend checking out Shimmer Boutique in Fairfax. What I love most about Shimmer is its friendly staff, especially the store owner, Liz, who is always willing to help you. If you’re looking for a store filled with popular brands like Urban Outfitters, Free people, North Face, Brandy Melville, you should definitely check out Shimmer Boutique. In addition, their clothes are always decently priced. For example, I got a North Face Fleece jacket for only $40 in perfect condition when this jacket usually sells for $180. Overall, Shimmer Boutique is definitely one of my personal favorites when it comes to thrifting.

I recently also discovered a fantastic thrift store in San Anselmo called Stella’s Consignment. This thrift shop offers high-quality, gently used clothing, accessories and more! The store has a very vibrant and inviting atmosphere with organized racks and a great variety of styles and sizes. I found amazing deals on designer clothing and unique accessories including cowgirl boots. I highly encourage checking out Stella’s Consignment.

Another great store located in San Anselmo is Sax. It is similar to the other thrift stores in Marin. I would recommend this store to anyone looking for unique jewelry and purses. This store offers clothes that fall under the vintage category;  however, if you like that fashion, you will certainly find something suitable. They also have a wide collection of stylish jeans and sweaters. Everything at Sax’s is in incredible condition and the store is full of great brands.

Lola’s Depot located in Fairfax is one of the best kept secrets in the area. From stylish clothes, home decor, and even toys and books, you’re sure to find something that catches your eye. If you are not in the mood for clothes, they also have crystals. The store is well-organized and the staff is friendly. So, if you are looking for a treasure hunt, make sure to add Lola’s Depot to your list of must-visits. 

Goodwill and The Salvation Army are two excellent thrift stores to consider, for affordable but quality secondhand items. Both of these stores offer a range of gently used clothing, accessories, furniture, and household items at discounted prices. Not only will you save money by shopping at these thrift stores, but you will also be supporting their mission of helping those in need. Goodwill and The Salvation Army accept donations of gently used items from the community, which they then sell in their stores to generate funds for their charitable programs. Overall, if you are on a budget and looking for a great deal on high-quality items, you cannot go wrong with Goodwill.

Shopping can be a combination of  excitement and stress. It is easy to get overwhelmed by all the options available and the pressure to make the right choices. But with some background knowledge about best places to thrift, shopping can be a highly enjoyable experience, especially when you find great deals and unique items that you love.