The Panther Press

The Student News Site of San Domenico

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

The ultimate winter closet guide

Choose the right fabrics for your style and comfort

During the winter, a lot of people find it hard to dress warmly, comfortably, as well as stylishly. The key lies not just in the designs of clothing but critically in the fabrics that they are made of. This guide introduces some of the fanciest fibers in the world, including merino wool, fine wool, cashmere, and vicuna, to help you make choices for your winter closet. Whether you are bundling up for a chilly school day or preparing for a formal winter event, understanding these materials will step up your winter fashion game.

Merino Wool:

Merino wool comes from the merino sheep and is often the top pick for winter wear. The material is soft and excellent at regulating body temperature. This means that it keeps you warm without overheating, which is perfect for those fluctuating indoor-outdoor winter days. Besides, merino wool is moisture-wicking*, which helps to keep people dry and comfortable.

J.P Box, the co-founder of Chasing Windmills and makers of merino wool children’s apparel, expresses his love for merino wool and the reasons why he chose it as a fabric for his winter clothes.

“One of the great things about wool is that depending on its weight, it can be a four-season fabric,” Box said. “A heavier weight Merino wool would be great for the winter, keeping the person wearing it nicely insulated, but at the same time, because of its temperature-regulating properties, a lighter wool garment during the summer in San Francisco would be very comfortable.”

*fabrics with the ability to pull moisture away from the skin using tiny, built-in capillaries

Fine Wool:

Fine wool includes types like merino and Rambouillet. These wools are incredibly soft, making them perfect for clothes that sit close to the skin like cozy winter leggings or thermal undershirts. Their natural elasticity ensures that clothes won’t easily lose shape, even after multiple wears and washes.

Cashmere:

For those special winter occasions, cashmere is the go-to. This soft material, originated from cashmere goats, offers unmatched warmth and comfort. Its lightweight nature makes it perfect for layering. Cashmere sweaters or scarves add a luxurious feel to any outfit that makes you stand out in the cold.

Vicuna:

Vicuna wool is the most exclusive of all, known for its incredible softness and warmth. While it is a rare find and comes with a high price tag, vicuna wool items are like wearing a piece of history and luxury. If you ever come across any Vicuna wool clothes, you will see why they are worth adding to your winter closet.

Knowing the different kinds of wool and luxury fibers is the key to making smart fashion choices during the winter. These fabrics don’t just keep you cozy; they also offer a range of textures and styles that suit your taste. From the everyday comfort of merino wool to the rare luxury of vicuna, each fabric has its unique characteristics. So, next time you’re shopping for your winter clothes, remember that it is not just about the look, but also the fabric!