The Panther Press

The Student News Site of San Domenico

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

Sailing proves tougher than you think

Renee Corpuz Lahne
Merritt Sellers and Seamus Crain during practice

Sailing is a grueling sport that utilizes both mental and physical strengths. The San Domenico sailing team works their hardest to perfect their sport. The team is extremely dedicated; however, many people at SD don’t know much about the sport. Some members of the sailing team believe they should have more attention and respect around San Domenico. 

Prairie Press, a sophomore on the sailing team, explained that the sport takes a tremendous amount of physical strength.

“You need a lot of strength to be holding in the ropes all the way and be hiking out to balance the boat and heavy winds,” Press said. “It can get really intense.”

The sailing coach, Renee Corpuz Lahne, strongly believes sailing is one of the hardest and most unique sports because of the unpredictability of the ocean. Corpuz Lahne comments on an aspect of sailing to help people fully grasp the difficulties of the sport.

“[We] are in an environment that is uncontrolled so we never really know what the weather is going to do,” Corpuz Lahne said. “We have to adapt all the time.”

This factor of unpredictability adds a level of intensity and excitement to sailing.

According to Dylan Song, a junior on the San Domenico sailing team, the entire team has to be engaged and thinking ahead the entire time they sail. Everyone has to make quick, calculated, and pressured decisions as they race.

“I feel like it’s a big chess game,” Song said.

Furthermore, Press acknowledges how unreasonable it would be to ask students to go to the team regattas because the events are far away; however, she lists a couple of ways the SD community can become involved with sailing. She encourages people to check out their Instagram, @sd.sailing, talk to the kids on the team about their regattas, and become more educated about the sport.

Corpuz Lahne believes one of the best ways to support sailing is to join the team.

“If you love the water, it could be the perfect sport for someone who’s never tried it before. And you don’t have to have prior experience to join the team,” Corpuz Lahne said.

The sailing team’s next regatta is on November 4th in San Diego. To ensure our classmates feel supported around San Domenico, students can wish the sailing team good luck.