The Panther Press

The Student News Site of San Domenico

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

Olivia Williams leads the San Domenico team to victory

CA Sports Photos LLC
Olivia Williams serving the ball.

Olivia Williams, a senior at San Domenico with 7 years of experience in volleyball, is admired by many as a friend, a leader and a role model. This past volleyball season, she was the varsity team captain. Named the all league honorable mention, she is a special player not only with skills on the court, but skills in leading her team. 

“She was definitely the most valuable player,”  John Headland, the varsity coach, said. “She carried the load the entire year-always one of the best players on the court consistently.”

Williams is a confident player who jumped at the chance to be a leader. 

“I’m very dedicated in everything I do, and when I got the opportunity to be team captain this year, I used the opportunity and gave it all my effort,” Williams said. “Our team cares about each other a lot as people. We enjoy each other.”

The other players said she had a profound impact on their team, always willing to help in any way she can. One of her teammates, sophomore Dylann Alioto, said Williams has been “like an older sister.”

“She is very supportive in everything and very encouraging,” Alioto said. “She is always there when I need her.”

Williams said that she initially had difficulties managing relationships with younger players and the coach. She was able to overcome it by “getting closer with people on my team and trusting instincts, listening to myself and being honest with people… just strengthening relationships with people on the team.”

With her enthusiastic attitude, Williams led the San Domenico Varsity volleyball team to the second place for NCS Division 6.

“She always brings the team up when we are at low points. She’s a very good captain and always brings the most energy,” Alioto said.