The Panther Press

The Student News Site of San Domenico

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

Cheese, pepperoni, and poetry: an unforgettable night at San Domenico

Sally Carlile
Senior Hank Figueroa Lindelli reads a poem

Picture yourself in a lively setting on a Tuesday evening with the delightful smell of a freshly baked pizza wafting through the air. As you take a bite of the warm, cheesy slice, you eagerly wait to immerse yourself in the soothing rhythm of an open mic poetry night. 

San Domenico hosted a Pizza and Poetry Night in the library from 6:30-8:00. Students and staff shared original and favorite poems ranging from humorous to vulnerable. The welcoming, judgment-free environment made it possible for anyone to share and feel comfortable doing so. As each person took the stage and read a poem, the room filled with laughter, mourning and a sense of community. It was a reminder that through poetry, we can connect with each other in meaningful ways, celebrating both our differences and shared experiences.

English teacher, Rebecca Elegant, organized this event with her creative writing class. She explained how she heard a rumor that SD hosted a Pizza and Poetry Night years ago and thought it would be fun to bring it back. 

“I am a creative writing teacher and really wanted to give students an opportunity to have a night where they could share their poetry with the rest of the school,” Elegant said. “It’s not just about what we’re doing in creative writing class, [I wanted] to let other students be a part of it. I thought it would be a great opportunity to bring it back.”

Elegant shared her excitement about what she observed on Tuesday night.

“Students signed up during the event because they were inspired by their peers. They saw their friends having the courage to get up there and speak, so halfway through the event, we had a bunch more signups. That was really great to see.”

One of the participants in the poetry night, senior Parker Sadzeck, shared his experience with writing poetry. 

“I started writing poetry a lot more when I was in banned books and creative writing. I really wanted to share poetry and listen to people,” Sadzeck said. “It’s poetry, and I know a lot of times people are scared to share.” 

Something that stood out to Elegant was the variety of poetry ranging from silly to nostalgic. Many students were creative with their language, which even got some students into the performance aspect of it. For example, senior Hank Figueroa Lindelli embraced his inner Shakespeare while reciting his poem, even thumping his chest to the rhythm of his words while the class joined in. Elegant stated that she loved watching the audience engage with the poet; it created a sense of belonging within the room. 

After a very successful night, the creative writing club is definitely planning to host another Pizza and Poetry Night at SD. We highly encourage you to show up and enjoy a nice, warm slice of pizza while listening to some amazing pieces of poetry. It just might surprise you how impactful poetry can be