The Panther Press

The Student News Site of San Domenico

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

Lights, camera, action: Eleri Martin, the captivating girl behind countless characters

+Eleri+Martin+in+the+spotlight+as+Velma+Kelly+in+the+play+Chicago%0A
Wynn Richards
Eleri Martin in the spotlight as Velma Kelly in the play Chicago

Eleri Martin, 25′, is one of the most inspiring theater students who seizes “every performing art opportunity you can possibly do” at San Domenico School. In addition to taking major roles in many musicals such as “Matilda” and “Chicago,” the annual “Tableaux” show and dance concerts, as well as featuring in several student films, Martin is also the Spirit Captain, bringing another layer of joy to her community. 

Martin discovered her interest in theater through the “Hansel and Gretel” shows in her third grade where she performed the “witch” role for her first time.

“I got a really great reaction from the audience of parents and siblings,” Martin said.

Ever since, she has taken classes in theater, using it as a tool to grow personally while also making memorable moments for many around her. She is currently in Theater 3 at San Domenico where she enjoys experiencing different characters and lives.

“I think it’s awesome to get to ‘live inside of someone else,’” Martin said. “It is such a rare interest for people to do it. People do really appreciate the work you do. I think it’s a very memorable sort of thing.”

Martin’s most challenging show so far has been “The 39 Steps,” where she played five different characters with multiple costume changes in a matter of a short period of time.

“It was accent changes and gender changes,” Martin said. “I would be going on stage as this old, posh British lady, then I’d come back in a completely different costume as this weird British guy, and then I would be a Scottish woman and a Scottish guy.”

In her sophomore year, Martin was somewhat new to high school theater and yet she challenged herself by performing such as a big role.

“It was such a rush of adrenaline and it was probably the most exciting, amazing, intense show I’ve ever done,” Martin said.

It is not easy to be a junior, the Spirit Captain, as well as a student in Theater 3. Martin has rehearsals almost everyday after school, and she gets home late in the evening. She has learned how to avoid procrastination and play it all well. You might find her immersed in her English books or math tasks on the benches in front of the upper school buildings, in the library or HOTA. She tries to get her school work done whenever possible.

Martin said, “Being in musicals and shows has actually really helped my organizational needs.”

In addition to her memorable shows, Martin has also been featured in many student films such as “Reunion” (directed by Joaquin Foster and Paddy Martin), “Slancio” (by Joaquin Foster), “First Day” (by Kate Ellis), It’s “Your Choice” (by Audrey Maxon)— some of which were featured in different film festivals such as the All American High School Film Festival in New York City.

Martin’s goal is to major in theater and become a professional actor in the future. For now, if she finds any spare time, she goes on a hike, listens to music, reads, plays her guitar, and spends time with her best friend, Maddie Snyder, who is also her Spirit Captain partner. Martin is a well-known student at San Domenico School, and a favorite among her friends for her amazing contributions and enthusiastic personality.

View Comments (2)