The Panther Press

The Student News Site of San Domenico

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

A deep dive into the wardrobe of “Succession”

In HBO’s TV drama “Succession,” the Roy family’s internal conflict extends beyond corporate strategy to encompass a subtle yet significant power struggle, often reflected in their fashion choices. Created by Jesse Armstrong, the show explores family relationships, power, status, and class through clothing. The styles of the family of the Roy and explains how clothing reflects their characteristics.

The Roys affect prosperous faculties and ways of dressing by representing the old money kind. Instead of following transient fashion trends, they stay with the classics that are carefully and individually cut based on their sizes. Thus, they choose quality and understatement to please their eyes over fancy logos. A rich banquet and the participation of all household members in it is more a political statement than a matter of personal preferences, showing the permanence of wealth and power of the family.

The freshness of the money style that comes with “old money principles” and “new money capitalism” is the main issue in “Succession.” Notable characters from or are new to the financial society display their transitional wealth with the flashy clothing of logos signaling different elite statuses. This visual sensation is a distinct travel sign, a faint but evident hint of the image on the left) stands in stark contrast to a more intricate and colorful folding wallet (the image on the right). The fact that they opt for these sorts of outings is indicative of their adherence to heritage, a factor that seems to be a focal something that they share with their peers whose minds are focused on the past rather than the present and future. Their history and motives. It shows the complexity of the artistic audio-visual language of the series in a masterful way.

After referring to the video “The Despicable Chain of Dressing in The Billion Dollar Club: An In-depth Analysis of the Rich People’s Clothes in “Succession” and The daughter of a Plutocrat reveals her wardrobe, but you don’t know the Pain of a Power Bitch by the famous blogger “Genius Girlfriend” on Bilibili, the video shows that the rich people in the Billion Dollar Club have a very high standard of dress.

The best example of their efforts to assert themselves and provoke each other came when Roman Roy and Tom Wambsgans were at loggerheads. Roman’s sharp wit is displayed when he laughs at Tom’s vest, “Looks cool, but what’s it stuffed with? Your hopes and dreams?” The interaction demonstrates a complex inner struggle for status and submission that every family member faces in their family relationship and the company of their peers.

Therefore, accessories and details present in Succession are not simply dependent variables of characterization of the story but real contributors to the story as well. 

A simple black leather wallet with silver studs decorating one corner (the image on the left) stands in stark contrast to a more intricate and colorful folding wallet (the image on the right). The fact that they opt for these sorts of outings is indicative of their adherence to heritage, a factor that seems to be a focal something that they share with their peers whose minds are focused on the past rather than the present and future.

The series’ highly detailed fashion lets us look into the character through his clothes for more involved character analysis. Roman Roy’s suits that look more relaxed than Logan Roy’s, which are symbols of the boss’s traditionalist comprehension

and ambition to keep control, can indicate Roman’s rebellious attitude and dependence on family hierarchy. Shiv Roy’s clothing not only reflects her struggle to find her identity as a woman but also mirrors her attempts to seem equal in a family where men dominate the decision-making process.

The TV series “Succession” has done this by developing its rare costume design that could not be hidden by anyone who knows about silent wealth or old money mode of dressing. The series takes us deeper into the complex world of status and identity as its characters struggle to find their place. Fashion plays a big role in these searches and it serves as one of the means to resolve these constant battles over family relations and group loyalties.

To sum up, the constructive work of costuming is portrayed as a narrative detail in “Succession.” More subtly but simultaneously, it clarifies the thoughts of power, class, and identity and reminds us to dig deeper into finding understanding through the characters and their world.