The Panther Press

The Student News Site of San Domenico

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

Preparing for Spring Discovery: Advice for the freshman

Merritt Sellers

The annual Spring Discovery trips are coming up, which means a whole new group of students are going to be introduced to these trips for the first time. Going on a trip for a week with a group of people that you’ve known for less than a year can be stressful, but it helps knowing what to expect and how to prepare.

The Spring Discovery Trips have been happening for a very long time, and many others have felt just like you do. A great way to prepare for the Spring Discovery trips is by talking to upperclassmen about their experiences. They can give you some good advice for what to anticipate.

Another great way to get ready for Spring Discovery is by listening to what your teachers say about it. Many teachers have chaperoned Spring Discoveries in the past and have a lot of experience. Mary Churchill has been on many Spring Discovery trips, including going on the tenth grade trip to Catalina four times, Joshua Tree and the Pinnacles. With so much experience, Churchill gives great advice. 

“9th graders should go into Spring Discovery with an open mind,” Churchill said. “It’s such a fun opportunity to get out of the classroom and be someplace new.” 

This year the ninth graders are going to Camp Cedar, in the town of Big Bear. Although it may be a new trip, it is led by the same organization that San Domenico has been working with for years, called Naturalists at Large. For this trip, the ninth graders will be staying in a dormitory setting, which may be new for the day students, but will be exciting nonetheless.

For this trip, it’s important to bring many layers, as temperatures can change drastically. It’s a good idea to bring long sleeves, sweaters, pullovers, a puffy jacket, and maybe even a hat and gloves. The Naturalists are very experienced and will be bringing plenty of snacks and have activities planned to help keep you energized and engaged.

“My hope for the ninth graders is that they will get to know more students, they will learn more about their current friends, they will be inspired by the great outdoors, and they will have times of reflection,” said Churchill.

Although Spring Discovery might feel intimidating at first, you will find that it is a great way to connect with your peers and enjoy the outdoors. It’s natural to feel nervous about being away from home for an extended period of time, but just know that you are not alone and many others feel this way as well. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is often where the most memorable experiences happen. As long as you go into this experience with an open mindset, you will come out with many fun memories to share with your friends.